Monday, February 6, 2012

I Speak Life{2/6/12})

 Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.
Maya Angelou 
"Still I rise," And Still I Rise (1978)
http://www.factmonster.com/spot/bhmquotes1.html 





The Atlantic slave trade, also known as the transatlantic slave trade, was the enslavement and transportation, primarily of African people, to the colonies of the New World that occurred in and around the Atlantic Ocean. It lasted from the 16th to the 19th centuries. Most enslaved people were shipped from West Africa and Central Africa and taken to North and South America to labor on sugar, coffee, cocoa and cotton plantations, in gold and silver mines, in rice fields, the construction industry, timber, and shipping or in houses to work as servants. The shippers were, in order of scale, the Portuguese (and Brazilians), the British, the French, the Spanish, the Dutch, and the North Americans. European and Americas-owned fortresses and ships obtained enslaved people from African slave-traders, though some were captured by European slave traders through raids and kidnapping. Most contemporary historians estimate that between 9.4 and 12 million Africans arrived in the New World, although the actual number of people taken from their homestead is considerably higher.
 http://revealingisrael.blacknetworktv.com/2010/09/the-trans-atlantic-slave-trade/

HAPPY BLACK HISTORY MONTH


Love,
Naeemah

No comments:

Post a Comment